Benefits of GS1 Barcodes
Over two million companies globally, including all major manufacturers, retailers, and online marketplaces use GS1 barcodes making it the defacto standards for the retail industry today. This is because they know that barcodes can help them improve their business. Some of the benefits of using GS1 barcodes are:
- Provides unambiguous & universal identification of products so no two products in the world would have the same GS1 barcode number
- Helps with faster listing of products on e-commerce platforms
- Meets prerequisite to doing business with modern trade retailers
- Facilitates accurate and faster billing at retail billing counters
- Empowers search engines to provide more precise search results, increasing visibility of products online
- Gives an international look and feel to products
- Enables automated data capture with 100% information accuracy. This helps eliminate human errors, offering a reliable way to read encoded information
- Ensures correct consignment dispatches as per customer orders
- Supports accurate real-time stock management for manufacturers/suppliers and retailers
- Helps meet several buyer/regulatory compliance requirements internationally and nationally
- Allows efficient track & trace and recall of all product types (e.g. consumer products, medical devices, pharmaceuticals, food, electronics, alcoholic beverages, etc.) helping ensure patient and consumer safety
- Optimised inventory management - as product packages feature barcodes, businesses can use the technology to maintain accurate control over inventory. For example, warehouses and retailers can scan barcodes when products arrive and leave, to take a record of inventory. Some companies link their inventory control to online portals so that they can instantly update package status.
- Achieve accurate and efficient procurement - since the GS1 barcode is a unique key to identify a product (via GTIN), it can be used to identify products without any ambiguity and place accurate orders for them.
Access to Reliable Product Information
Besides the above benefits, GS1 India barcode subscribers also get access to DataKart, a repository of product information to which they can upload all product attributes, including its description, and images. This helps product lifecycle management with the ability to view all product changes and its history in one place.
With information on more than 3 million products and growing, DataKart is a single source of trusted, reliable and accurate information on products that can be accessed by potential buyers and consumers everywhere.
The Smart Consumer mobile app of the Department of Consumer Affairs, Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution, Govt. of India, is powered by DataKart. The app displays product data, which is retrieved from DataKart when a product barcode is scanned using a smartphone.